Sunday, April 28, 2013

The Vegan BLT

       So, one day I was on Skype with one of my friends from school and I just got the biggest craving for a sandwich. So I got to thinking, what if I just created one myself? Making myself even more hungry, I started to think about what I would put on it.
Bread (any type, your choice!)
Nayonaise lightly (or heavily – I chose lightly) spread on the bread – This sounds SO weird, and it’s so funny to pronounce! My mom and I laugh whenever we use it.
One leaf of cabbage (Leaf? Part?)
One rectangle layer of tofu (firm)
Fakin Bacon!
Thin strips of tomato
Cabbage on top of the tomato
Then to top it off, the other bread piece with nayonaise!
For this whole recipe, you would need:
  •  Coconut oil 
  •  Olive oil
  •  Vegetable oil
  •  Tofu
  •  A head of cabbage
  •  Fakin Bacon
  •  Nayonaise
  •  Any type of bread
  • Tomatoes (optional, even though this IS a BLT, it will taste just as fine without it!)
·        

        And let me tell you, that was one BAD ASS sandwich!

Here’s what I did:
       First, I put a frying pan on the stove and turned the heat to simmer. After I did that, I cut a loaf of bread into slices to put the tofu, cabbage and ‘bacon’ inside. Returning to the frying pan, I put just enough vegetable oil to cover the bottom of it.

       Second, I turned the block of tofu onto its side, and cut like one inch strips all the way down leaving me a thin sort of square/rectangular shape. I grabbed some napkins, and pressed down on the tofu getting as much moisture out as I could. Afterwards, I put the damp tofu into the vegetable oil turning the heat up to mid way.

       While that cooks, on a completely different frying pan, I put 1 tsp of coconut oil in along with the ‘bacon’. Now, I cook my bacon until it’s crispy. For the people who DON’T like crispy bacon, don’t turn your stove on high heat! For the people who DO like their bacon crispy, CRANK IT UP BABY! :)

       As that’s sizzling and the aroma of goodness is in the air, I slightly pick at the sides and under the tofu. I don’t flip the tofu or anything until I think that it’s golden brown. The object of the game IS to get the tofu a nice golden color. Basically, treat it like a pancake – just watch it a LOT more! It could end up sticking to the bottom of the frying pan, and we don’t want that!

       When the tofu and bacon is almost done, I take some cabbage and rinse it. Putting it to the side, I take my jar of nayonaise and spread it on whichever side of the bread I want. After that, I dry the cabbage off completely and put as much onto the bread as I want.

       I return to my tofu and bacon and put the heat on off. For being safe, I take the tofu out of the frying pan and put it onto a cutting board/plate/whatever you would be using – just so it won’t burn.

       Last but not least, I layer everything. First the bread with the nice white lather, then the cabbage, on top of the cabbage is the tofu, some fakin bacon covering that, some slices of tomato, some lettuce on top of that, and finally the other bread piece that covers up the dream sandwich!

       Serve with love, care, and bandages because if you’re serving people other than yourself they will do ANYTHING for this baby!


       With any questions or concerns, please contact me at: thevganteen@gmail.com
I hope this vegan meal is out of this world!
-Ilana xo


More pictures of this delectable meal:




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

 

The Vegan Teen Copyright © 2012 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template